Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A Late Father's Day Post

       As I thought back on this last Father's Day and everything my own dad has done for me I realized how much I have to be grateful for. A recent talk in General Conference by Richard J. Maynes explains the importance of establishing righteous traditions in our homes. The summary of his talk is:
       "We understand and believe in the eternal nature of the family. This understanding and belief should inspire us to do everything in our power to establish a Christ-centered home." 1
       His talk, entitled: Establishing a Christ-Centered Home, brought me to ponder what my parents have done for me. One thing that I greatly treasure is the time my dad and I got to spend playing basketball. We would wake up at 5:30 am every Tuesday and Thursday to play basketball at the church building. We didn't always say a whole lot to one another, on account of it being so early, but I will forever enjoy the memories and the time we spent together.
       We can show our families how much we love and care about them by what we do, by establishing those relationships on the gospel of Jesus Christ. President Uchtdorf put it this way, "In family relationships love is really spelled t-i-m-e, time." 2

1.     Establishing a  Christ-Centered Home by Richard J. Maynes
2.     Of Things that Matter Most by Dieter F. Uchtdorf

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...