Friday, September 7, 2012

Just Keep Shootin'

The clock is continuing to count down. The ball is being bounced around. There's not a noise from the the crowd. The shot goes up... no luck. There is just enough time for one more attempt. He puts it up again from outside the three-line and... same result. 

The Kaysville 14th ward church ball team lost in the semi-finals of the annual regional tournament that year. What a disappointment. One of the players had been given two chances to win the game in those final seconds. Too bad for him; he missed his opportunity. 


Well, as I am sure you can guess, that certain player was me. Bummer, I know. I had a good friend on the team who was open. I probably should have passed it to him. But who knows what would've happened. However, I did learn a valuable lesson. Sometimes it takes failing a few times, or maybe a few hundred times, before we can get it right. But the end result can, and always, will be better if we keep at it. I like this quote from Michael Jordan:

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."

A lot of times in life we may feel like we've been entrusted to take the game winning shot and then dropped the ball. We may be disappointed but we need not be too hard on ourselves. "When we have done our very best, we may still experience disappointments, but we will not be disappointed in ourselves." So if you feel like you fallen short, pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and keep your chin up. The game of life is full of opportunities to make baskets. Just keep shootin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...